Earth Charter International (ECI) encourages everyone to contribute to the goals of the Earth Charter Movement. Your active participation and support are needed. In this connection, ECI is in the process of scaling-up the Movement worldwide by promoting decentralized activity and the empowerment of individuals, communities and organizations.
The Action Guidelines presented below are a resource designed to help people conduct Earth Charter related activities in ways that are in harmony with the values and principles of the Earth Charter.
- Start with the Earth Charter. Let the Earth Charter be your basic guide when you are planning and undertaking activities to make the Earth Charter vision a reality.
- Be a Living Example. Strive to be a living example of the spirit of the Earth Charter in your day-to-day life – at home, in the work place, and in your community.
- Empower Yourself. Act boldly, and trust that you can make a difference as an individual and that your activities will catalyze the efforts of many others.
- Cooperate, Cooperate. Create the power to affect change by building partnerships and collaborating with others, and seek win/win solutions.
- Empower Others. Share power by being inclusive and providing others with opportunities to strengthen their capacities for problem solving, decision-making, and leadership, unleashing human creativity.
- Promote Respect and Understanding. Endeavor to build relationships of mutual respect and trust among individuals and groups from diverse cultures and communities, and resolve differences through dialogue in a way that produces learning and growth.
- Facilitate Self-Organization. Facilitate the spread of initiatives inspired by the Earth Charter without trying to control them, counting on the capacity of human groups with a clear ethical purpose to self-organize and achieve positive outcomes.
- Focus on Root Causes. Focus thought and action on the root causes of the major problems and challenges facing humanity, and do not let the pressures of existing unsustainable systems and practices deter you from action.
- Be Committed Yet Flexible. Be unwavering in your commitment to fundamental principles and ensure that the means adopted to achieve your goals are consistent with Earth Charter values, but always be flexible and innovative in selecting means and methods as circumstances change.
- Be Resourceful. Do not let your thinking and acting be restricted by dependence on money; use your imagination and be resourceful in making things happen.
- Use Technology Wisely. Be mindful that large numbers of people do not have access to advanced technology, and when constructing technological solutions to problems ensure that they are appropriate.
- Protect the Integrity of the Charter. When presenting, quoting from, or translating the Earth Charter be faithful to the words and spirit of the original text, and link the Charter only with organizations, products and events that are consistent with its values and vision.